For the last two days of my trip to Mauritius, I enjoyed the west coach beaches. Travel to Pamplemousse was easy by taxi, and it is also well-connected by bus with the capital, Port Louis. The beaches were beautiful and peaceful, and it was interesting to find some Hindu temples along the way.
Just north of Pamplemousse is the Rivière du Rempart District, and this is where Grand Baie and Pereybere are located. However, the beaches are continuous so I’ve included both in the same post.
People were generally very friendly and helpful. And there were lots of families enjoying the beach, having picnics and barbecues.
- Trou aux biches beach
- Mont Choisy beach
- Triolet beach
- Grand Baie
- Pereybere Public Beach
- Pointe d’Azur
- Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden
- L’Aventure du Sucre Museum
- Super U mall
Before you go
- This region is famous for its beaches for a good reason
- Just north of Pamplemousse is the Rivière du Rempart District, with more beaches
- Buses are convenient and useful but signage is not always very clear. Locals are usually happy to help
- Most people speak English
- For longer distances, like going to the airport, it is good to book a taxi in advance
- Getting to Trou aux biches is possible by bus, and I took the bus to Port Louis. Those run fairly often though the signs are not very clear
- Once you are in the beach area of Pamplemousse, it is possible to take nice long walks to get to different beaches. Most of this is on the beach, but sometimes you need to walk on roads without pavements
Mostly, I had a lot of snacks so my main meal was a delicious Indian thali at Happy Rajah in Grand Baie. I’ve had thalis at Indian restaurants in London. This one was unique because it had a local fish curry. Yum!
Q: Do I need a tour guide?
A: No, you can enjoy the beaches and sights without a guide
Q: Do people speak English?
A: Yes, almost everyone speaks English
Q: Is it a walkable city?
A: No, the region is not walkable, but once you are at the beaches then it is possible to walk around
Go to Mauritius
Go to Country Map